[Offtopic] cell data (was Re: NTLK Novatel Merlin Wireless..)

From: Victor Rehorst (chuma@chuma.org)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 10:20:04 CDT

On Fri, Jun 16 2000 Hai Ng wrote:

-----
As for cellphone and modem card being faster than CDPD, it really depends
on what system your cellphone is on and depending on your system, again
costs will vary.

If your cell system is TDMA, you're looking at 9600kbps before
compression since TDMA phones will have to switch to its analog
companion, AMPS, to handle a data call. That means everything from
lowered battery life on your phone.

CDMA is better and GSM is pretty cool. Except I found out that with some
plans, you actually have to pay extra when you do GSM Data.
-----

First of all, for anyone looking for information On North American cell phone systems (especially Canada) check out this great site:
http://www.arcx.com/sites/default.htm

Secondly, the cost of setting up your cell phone for data can be rather high, as you will almost certainly need to buy extra hardware. For example, yesterday I finally found a local store that carries the Nokia DAO-9P, the serial cable for Nokia 51XX and 61xx phones. It retails for $89.99 Canadian. In short, it's the most obscenely expensive cable ever. I don't even want to know what the cell modem cables cost.

Victor Rehorst - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
victor@eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca - chuma@chuma.org - vrehorst@newted.dyndns.org
Sent from a Newton Messagepad 2100 with SimpleMail 4.0
http://www.chuma.org