Re: NTLK Backup problem using NCU

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 13:12:52 CDT

Carlos Pessoa wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have a Newton 2100 and every time that I want to
> make a backup using NCU, the following message
> appears:
> "could not perform the backup because of an error of
> the MacOS computer" or something like this...
> I have a Performa 6230 with 32MB of RAM running MacOS
> 8.1 that I use to sync with Newton. I have an iMac too
> but I donīt have an adapter for USB nor an Ethernet
> card for my Newton... What's wrong with my backup?

Check the FAQ at <http://www.info-newt.com/faq/index.html>. You should first make sure that you removed and external flash RAM card before attempting to backup. Make sure you give NCU
all the memory you can spare to it. I would think that 10,000KB to backup the internal store would be enough. Remember, the larger the store in your Newton to backup, the more memory
will NCU need. Also, make sure that the designated/default backup directory used by NCU is empty (usually the "Backup" folder inside the "Newton Connection Utilities" folder. If there's
a previous backup there that you wish to keep, move the file to the desktop. Then, launch NCU and try to backup again. Don't forget: initially, try *without* any external flash RAM card!

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin
Developer, Adaptive Infrastructure, CIS Fannie Mae
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com