Re: NTLK

From: Michael J. Hussmann (michael.hu@macmagazin.de)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 09:07:28 CDT

Victor Rehorst (chuma@chuma.org) wrote:

> Hrm. But Appletalk / Ethertalk networking on the Newton doesn't use NIE
> as a transport AFAIK.

Victor,

no doubt about that -- in my experience, "Newton Devices" is actually all
you need for AppleTalk via Ethernet. My point was really much simpler:
for Ethernet you need a crucial extension that you get as part of NIE 2.0
(and nowhere else), so without NIE 2.0 you can't use Ethernet.
(Incidentally, "Newton Devices" is the only NIE package that isn't
copy-protected, so you can beam "Newton Devices" and the driver to a
brain-wiped Newton and restore everything else via Ethernet.)

Michael J. Hussmann

Redaktion macmagazin
MACup Verlag GmbH
Leverkusenstrasse 54 VII