Re: NTLK HOW about audio capabilities of 2_00

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 13:57:55 CDT

Mark Schilling wrote:

> I use a MP110 for basic contact and calendar purposes, but I am intrigued by the possibility of getting a 2000 or 2100 and trying to expand my uses. Specifically, I was wondering if their audio capabilities and memory would be adequate to store about 150 ten-second sound files (bird calls) to be retrieved and rendered satisfactorily on demand.
>
> I know just a bit about the 2_00 capabilities, but I think I have read that although there is a line-in option, there are, in fact, no hardware solutions readily available to take advantage of it. Is this true?
>
> Are sound files stored using a built in Mic? Could 150 such files be put in on a single card for retrieval? Would their be a very significant difference between doing this on a 2000 vs. a 2100?
>
> Thanks for any help, info, advice, suggestions, etc.

Hi Mark!

I don't think that there would be a significant difference between a 2000 and a 2100 to do that. If you consider the best quality for recording, which is 5KB/sec., 10 secondes recording would amount to 50KB, and 150 recordings would take 7500 KB, or 7.5MB (roughly, 7.32MB precisely). So, you could do fine with an 8MB flash ram card. Naturally, a
larger card would let you do more, as well as with a 2100 over a 2000.

Like I told you in private, the only problem is that you would probably be limited to the internal mic for the recording, unless one of the mysterious hardware designer that has promised an interconnect audio adapter would manifest himself here! So, any taker on that thing? Come on, I did encourage Mark to subscribe to NewtonTalk, it's not a good
time to let him down!

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin
Developer, Adaptive Infrastructure, CIS Fannie Mae
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com