Re: NTLK Motorola Phones & Power 14.4 modems

From: Dan White (danwhite@mac.com)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 02:31:24 CDT

I don't know if this will help you but here is the info I sent out a
couple of weeks ago about using the Motorola Startac with the Newton.
Note, I do not have a cellular modem, I am using the Sprint internet
connection kit, which connects to a modem within the Sprint system. The
settings I used may help however.

1) When you are ready to log on to the net or get your email, bring up
the dialing card as you would normally, but tap on the "i" to get the
Modem preferences.

2) Change the modem preferences "Connect using" to Serial Port, and the
"Modem setup" to 14.4 alternate 1. (Note the Sprint PCS system will only
let you connect at 14.4 anyway.)

3) Commence dialing.

This appears to also work with Aloha for AOL mail.

Comments:

Since I got the wireless web connection kit with my phone it was a good
deal, but if you want to buy one it will cost you $99, which I think is a
rip-off. Check ebay and you can pick one up for much less. I expect to
see the cable, which is all you need, available soon from after market
vendors. Also, you will need to have a PC (serial) to Mac (serial) cable
to connect the cables in the kit to your Newton (or Powerbook if that is
your mobile computer). Don't look in the Wireless Web Connection Kit
booklet or the included CD for any help with your Newton or Mac
connections, it is PC-only stuff!

Dan White