comp.sys.newton.misc vs. Newtontalk (was: Re: NTLK NTLK:newted messageboards)

From: Loren Finkelstein (Loren@Finkelstein.Net)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 11:42:02 CDT

on 7/31/00 12:00 PM, Michael J. Hussmann at michael@macmagazin.de wrote:

> Loren Finkelstein (Loren@Finkelstein.Net) wrote:
>
>> So, what do you all say? Shall we move this to comp.sys.newton.misc?
>
> Better not. Mailing lists continue to be quite popular (I am on lots of
> lists: QuickTime, REALbasic, ADC, iShell and several smaller ones),
> because many people aren't happy with usenet.

I am curious about your statement that many people aren't happy with usenet.
Why?

> But why discuss this at all? There are Newton related newsgroups, and
> whoever prefers these is free to chose a newsgroup over this mailing
> list. Whoever prefers a mailing list stays here. I for one will.

There are a couple of reasons to discuss this. If there is one resource
that everyone uses, it is more efficient and reaches more people then
several resources that split the users in to separate groups. Also,
realistically, this mailing list isn't going to go away, but I believe the
USENET newsgroups are a more efficient way of conducting this kind of
communication.

I am both curious about why others don't feel that way, and interested in
letting newbies know that there is another option.
Loren