Notepad corruption [was Re: NTLK Re: newtontalk V1 #74]

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 10:26:58 CDT

RichardL8@aol.com wrote:

> I am going to have to do the dreaded hard reset because my note pad is
> completely corrupted. I have already tried to open other folders in the note
> pad and can not open any. I have backed up everything including the notepad.
> My question has to do with reinstalling. Does the Newton rebuild a fresh
> notepad? Otherwise how do I import the notepad without the corrupt notes?
> When reinstalling will the Newton pull a notepad from a previous uncorrupted
> backup? Thanks to any and all who can help me with this.

I'm not sure if I read a reply to your message, but in case you didn't receive anything, here is my take ;-)

What error are you getting? What's the exact error number?

It might not be with the Notepad, but with some preference stuff for the Notepad that is stored in the System soup. Is the Notepad loading when you get the error, or do you get the
error right after tapping the Notepad icon? I had corrupted notes in the past (too large) but was usually able to open the Notepad. Then, finding the corrupted one was merely browsing
every single note. I had to use SBM Utilities to delete the note from the Notepad soup, though. In the Notepad, the note would not display at all, not even any menu, which is hard when
you want to delete!

OTOH, if you just can't load the Notepad, I would suspect the system soup. Again, if you don't want to do a hard reset, you can use SBM Utilities and open the System soup. Do a search
for "paperroll". You should find one single entry. Delete that entry. Try to launch the Notepad again. Warning: all the folders you created specifically for the Notepad will be
destroyed, and the notes they containted will show in the Unfiled section, until you create those folders again. As soon as you create the folders, the notes will be filed in them
automatically.

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin Developer, Adaptive Infrastructure, CIS
Fannie Mae Washington, DC, USA
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com