Re: NTLK Wireless support for Newton

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 22:29:26 CDT

Not any longer. It seems that the only game in town
(go-america) no longer supports the All Points card on
the Newt. I used one for years with Wynd and DTS, but
now that Go America has purchased both of them, there
is nothing that works with the Newt. And even if it
did, you would go broke using it! Go-America charges a
minimum of $0.10/kb (on the unlimited plan) and up to
$0.56/kb on a pay as you go! And this doesn't even
include the monthly! (Imagine paying $560 for a 1mb
file!)
The only thing I have seen that works is connection
through your Cell phone or the Ricochette network (as
long as you are in one of the three places on the
planet earth that has coverage)
Sorry to sound so negative, but this issue was hashed
out here quite throughly a few months back and it
seems that all Newt wireless avenues have disappeared!
Sorry.
Ed
web/gadget guru
--- "J. and Mayra Leko" <jmleko@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone on the list is currently
> using a wireless service
> for the Newton (specifically MP2100) with an
> AllPoints wireless PC modem
> card?
>
> I recall that in the past, one could use an
> AllPoints PC card with either
> RadioMail, or WyndMail. However, these no longer
> seem to be options, and
> the newer GoAmerica service which still uses this PC
> card told me that they
> don't support the Newton.
>
> The Newton will automatically recognize the
> AllPoints card with it is
> inserted into the PC card slot, but the sticking
> point becomes the
> software. Any suggestions?
>
> Regards,
>
> J. Leko
> Tennessee Valley Newton User Group (TVNUG)
>

> ***************************************
> NewtonTalk brought to you by:
>
> EVOTE.COM -- the ESPN of politics on the Internet!
> All the players, all the news, and the hottest
> analysis and features (plus 'toons!) anywhere....
> visit http://www.evote.com today!

> Visit the NewtonTalk section at
http://www.planetnewton.com

=====
this is a temporary sig file until I can figure out a more clever one to use

http://invites.yahoo.com/