Re: NTLK Serial to IR Hack App - need help...

From: Victor Rehorst (chuma@chuma.org)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 21:50:45 CDT

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Chris Browder wrote:

> Hello one and all....
> I have a grand idea for a cool Hack for the Newton... but do not know where
> or how to begin working on it and need some help.
>
> Here is the proposal:
>
> Write a small extension application that reroutes the Serial Port to the IR
> Port. This would only be effective for the 2000/2100 and eMate. It would
> basically be like the hack for the Palm that 3Com made allowing IR syncing
> of the Palm with an iMac by changing the Serial HotSync port to the IR port
> of the device.

To do this kind of communication (serial communication) you need an IrCOMM
transport layer. The Newton doesn't support this natively, and the only
guys doing any kind of IR port work on the Newton, Smart Dog Software,
haven't done IrCOMM yet (only IrOBEX - a *totally* differnent thing). So,
either you would have to write an IrCOMM stack for the Newton, or write your
own protocol and implement it on your desktop machine and then write some
special software to use it or connect it to another standard transport (ie.
make it look like a serial device - this is now Nokia's Personal Data Suite
talks to Windows - it emulates the logic of a DTP-2 data card in software).

Victor Rehorst - victor@eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca | chuma@chuma.org
Secretary, CASU & CPES College Governments, University of Guelph, Canada
Newton Resources: Ethernet, Mailing List Archive, Newton Cage File Archive,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ FAQ, Documentation, Books, Projects and fun, too!
                  http://www.chuma.org/newton/