Re: NTLK Backup problems from nowhere on 9.0 (not 9.0.4)

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 08:18:04 CDT

Peter Krug wrote:

> >Laurent wrote:
> >If it always fail when backing up the system information, I would
> >suspect something is wrong in the system soup. If you want to
> >experiment, try backing up to your external card using
> >SBM Utilities. Do a hard reset, making sure you remove the card
> >before doing so. Check the FAQ for the proper steps. Make sure SBM
> >Utilities in on the card as well. Then, restore
> >everything, but the system soup. Warning: you will have to
> >reconfigure your Newton, and you might have to enter a bunch of
> >registration codes for 3rd party apps again. You might want to
> >try to perform the backup again. Like I said, you will loose a lot
> >of settings, as much applications store their preferences in the
> >system soup, so it might be painful to start with a
> >new system soup, but it might be the only way to go if you want to
> >perform a backup. One last question: have you been able to connect
> >reliably with NCU, using your ethernet card? For
> >instance, have you been able to install packages on your MP? I'm
> >asking just to make sure you have all required ethernet drivers,
> >before you dump your system soup. Have you been able to
> >backup before, using the same hardware/software that you're using
> >right now? Anything that might have changed? If you are sure that
> >nothing changed, then it might well be something
> >wrong with your system soup, and you might want to try what I described above.
>
> Yes, I still can install packages and I can access the internet via
> my ethernet card. This is the same hardware/software I have been
> using on the mac. Of course, who knows how many little packages I
> have downloaded to my Newton since the problem started. Maybe I'll
> try pulling packages before doing what you suggested, since I don't
> have SBM utilities I'd have to start from scratch on the internal
> store. One note, I already tried backing up my internal store to
> the card and it said that there wasn't enough room to copy my system
> information, even though I have 1741K free on it .

1741K for the system information? Are you sure that it's what was being backup when you got the error? IIRC, the system information is basically the system soup. If so, 1741K for the
system soup is unusually large, way too large.

Using SBM Utilities, my current System soup takes 75K for 78 entries. Like I said, there might be other soups included with the system soup when the Newton is talking about the "system
information", but still, 1741K is a lot. That would reinforce the theory of something wrong with the system soup, maybe one single entry is bogus. With SBM Utilities, that would be easy
to verify and maybe to fix.

But I also agree with Kenny that a system soup should be re-built if something seems wrong with it, as you never know if you're not going to have worst problems down the road...

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin
Developer, Adaptive Infrastructure, CIS Fannie Mae
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com