Re: NTLK Backup problems from nowhere on 9.0 (not 9.0.4)

From: Peter Krug (biopwkx@panther.Gsu.EDU)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 15:12:02 CDT

    Laurent wrote:
>What kind of connection are you using? I would suggest AppleTalk.
>Then, instead of the "Apple Modem Tool" connection tool, you would
>need the "AppleTalk Tool", then make sure NCU and
>your Newton are set to connect using AppleTalk.

I'm using an ethernet card, and the Appletalk ADSP tool is present
(NBU installed it).

>Also, don't try to backup any external Flash RAM card. Just start
>with the Newton internal store. If possible, try not to run any
>concurrent application when backing up. Make sure you
>give at least 8MB of RAM to NCU, more if you can. If the backup
>succeeds, then you might think about giving more memory to NCU
>(maybe 8MB base + the size of your card, so with a 16MB
>card, that would be 24MB of RAM allocated to NCU).

I gave it 50 MB but no avail. It still disconnects my Newton/iMac
connection while backing up the system information. The same happens
without my RAM card installed.

>Finally, make sure that you're starting a new backup, not an
>incremental one. Check your backup folder, in the NCU folder. Move
>out any file that might be there.

The folder is empty. Again, I am able to install packages and I was
able to backup about 1 month ago. Could I have some file damaged on
the Newton that is crashing NCU? I get error -1 on the mac after the
disconnection.

Thanks again,

Peter