Re: NTLK Re: Synching with Palm Desktop

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Sun Jul 23 2000 - 22:34:15 CDT

On 7/21/00 3:27 AM, Hans Johnson [mailto:Strider@apexmail.com] wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>Question: are you actually using the Palm desktop software?

Yes, I have.

>for some
>reason, I can not make it work with NCU.. each time I hit the
>synchronize button on my newton or in NCU, it says that the file can
>not be read due to the disk being full or locked or something to that
>effect... I'm running the latest version of Palm Desktop, and NCU 1.0
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated,

(If this isn't in the FAQ, it should be....) You can't use the file that
Palm Desktop currently has open to sync with.

Note that even if the Palm Desktop application is closed, the Instant
Palm Desktop extension that puts the little Palm icon in the menu bar
DOES have the "User Data" file open, so it can display your upcoming
appointments, etc, on the menu.

YOu need to create a new user in Palm Desktop and switch to that, then
sync with the "User" file you really wanted to sync with. I think you can
also disable the Instant Palm Desktop extension.

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/