NTLK MP3 decoding chip?

From: gopi@sloth.org
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 20:01:56 CDT

Hi,

Somebody mentioned seeing an MP3 hardware decoder chip with a serial
interface. Just wondering if any more info could be provided? With the
upcoming ATA drivers, it seems like there could be some usefulness to good
quality Newton audio. 16 bit 44.1kHz stereo is around 1.4Mbps, with the
serial ports specced at 2Mbps max. I don't know if that would be
practical, though 12 bit / 32kHz is half that and may be decent...

I think you see what I am getting at - higher quality Newton audio.

An audio PCMCIA card may be another option, though personally I am
expecting to have a WaveLAN and a flash memory card, so no free slots...

gopi.