Re: NTLK ATA News: ontological question

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot@pnm-consulting.com)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 04:39:25 CDT

>XIP means probably "eXecute In Place".
>Now this should be no problem with a linear flash card that maps
>completely into the address space, but i believe it is nearly
>impossible with the sector oriented ATA cards, which IIRC map very
>little amounts at any one time.

Thanks Wolf. This is exactly what Landon told me. He really saved
some development time. BTW, ATA devices don't map any data to RAM.
There is a zone where you can read data, which can be rather large
(in memory mode), but each read increases the cursor and the next
read, whatever the address is, gives the next word.

Regards,

Paul

--
P&M Consulting Newton Program