Re: NTLK Batts in the freezer

From: J. van de Griek (Joost_van_de_Griek@nl.yachtgroup.com)
Date: Tue Jul 04 2000 - 04:58:01 CDT

Gruendel, Frank 3837 PPE-WT wrote:

> >> Charged is correct. And to show you what a real smart and amazing
> >> expert I am, here's another tip: Store them in the fridge.
>
> >Next to the film-rolls it is, then. What about the freezer? Guess not,
huh?

> I'd advise against the freezer. Whatever I put in *my* freezer, no matter
> whether
> there's a bag around it or not, eventually gets coated with a thin crust
of
> ice.

True. However, if that is the only objection to storing them in the freezer,
I suppose for *LONG-TERM* storage, packed in one of them vacuum bags, the
freezer should do fine, right? (A tad over the top, though; I must admit my
freezer remark was mostly in jest.)

> I'd think this would eventually lead to corrosion. Apart from that,
slowing
> down chemical processes works too ways. Self discharge is one, but
> unfortunately normal discharge is one, too. Usually I want my
rechargeables
> do their job at once, not after de-freezing them. And a frozen battery,
just
> as the one outside in your car, has way less capacity than one that has
> room temperature. Also it can deliver way less current. Of course the same
> is
> true for rechargeables that were in a fridge, but to a lesser extent as
the
> difference to room temperature is smaller and the time to reach it is
> shorter.
> Thus it is certainly a good idea to take them out of the freezer the night
> before.

Hence my suggestion to use the fridge for storage, freezer for long-term
storage.

> As to the zip lock bag: I think that's not a good idea. I've never tried
it
> with
> films or batts, but I would think there might occur some kind of
> condensation that
> would result in humidity inside the bag. I'd just put them into a
cardboard
> box
> and try to find a place that's pretty much at the top of the fridge (as
> leaking
> milk usually leaks downwards...)

And after a leaky battery, I would certainly recommend a new fridge. For the
foodstuffs, anyway. :-)

,xtG
..tsooJ