RE: NTLK Feedback: Develop a program? How hard? What to do first? Need Mortgage Calc...

From: Humphreys, David (david.humphreys@honeywell.com)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 15:49:42 EST

Drew wrote:

> I have always been curious what it would be like to develop
> my own program
> for the Newton. Honestly, it is probably way over my head.
> And, for this one
> things, it would probably be easier to just do a spreadsheet.
> However, I am
> curious what I would need to do.

You could try writing one in BASIC. NSBASIC is available from
http://www.nsbasic.com <http://www.nsbasic.com>

I think that writing one using Newtonscript would be a little challenging
for you.

> I need a mortgage accel calculator. One that if I have a
> given mortgage
> balance, %, P&I payment, etc, and I put in if they do an
> extra $100/mo, how
> much will they save.
>
> Can I take the basic code from a program that already exists,
> say Apple's
> Calculator, or better yet, Formulas, since it already
> calculates compound
> interest?

Unfortunately, the code is built in for this function. There are ways of
using this code but it needs a fair deal of programming knowledge.

> Is there any danger in ruining my Newton if I test something
> I have written?
> I know some people like to have a second Newton for just
> testing, but that
> will not be realistic for me right now.

Software cannot, by itself, ruin your Newton. It IS possible to write code
that exercises some physical part to the Nth degree that would cause the
part to physically fail. In reality, the worst that could probably happen,
is that some errant code overwrites some system variables or corrupts your
soups.
Just do a brainwipe and things will be back to normal. (Remember to
backup!!)

> Anyway, I would appreciate any feedback on what I would need.
>
> Drew

I think that buying a copy of nsbasic will be the answer.

Regards,
David Humphreys
PCB Designer
Honeywell Inc.