NTLK Re: alt.rec. issues

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot@pnm-consulting.com)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 07:48:03 EST

>JForsterMD@aol.com wrote:

>In any case, a new version of alt. rec came out, sooo I tried to delete
>the previous one. Boy was that a mistake. I can not even use
>newtcasemanager to touch it. I booted up the Newton without the extra
>packages loading, and still, with a big X through it, it does not let me
>delete it. Any ideas? How should I have updated alt. rec.?

alt.rec.... removal & deletion mechanism used to have some bugs in some
versions, including the one you deleted. (this is one of the change in the
new version).

What you get is a corrupted package soup. I am sorry you got it.
alt.rec.... is probably not responsible alone, but it is really boring. To
fix it, procede as following:

(what about adding this to the FAQ?)
(i) save your current backup (put it away so that NCU cannot find it), just
in case.
(ii) restart your Newton without packages and do a full backup. (or just
the packages if you want)
(iii) restore packages omitting the corrupted entries in the package soup
(in your case alt.rec....)
(iv) say yes for the restart.

The technical explaination:
Standard packages in the package soup are represented by 2 or 3 entries:
(a) the package binary itself (i.e. what you have in the file on your
desktop folder)
(b) the extras' icon
(c) the extras' frozen icon if the package is frozen

The phenomenon you got usually happen when not all entries were removed.

Regards,

Paul

----
P&M Consulting Newton Program