Re: NTLK eMate comments wanted...

From: Point Mutation (locutus@hawaii.rr.com)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 07:05:02 EST

> 1. Is the eMate kbd like the Newton kbd? (key size, feeling of the keys,
> material, etc.)
> 2. Does the eMate have backlight and how does it compare with the MP2k?
> 3. Does it have 2 PC card slots? (...or does anybody know an URL to a
> good eMate site/manuals?)

i have an eMate and i believe that the eMate keyboard is slightly larger
than the newton kbd. It is definitely smaller than a regular sized
keyboard, but because i don't do the normal 'fingers on the homerow' typing,
it's prefect for me and i like it. one things for sure though, the eMate
keyboard is definitely better than any powerbook keyboard i've ever used.

i suppose it's the same. same technology right? just depends how much you
use it though since the backlights will get dimmer after so many thousand
hours or so. the eMate screen is bigger than the MP2k screen. I believe
they have the same resolution (ie: 320 x 240), but the eMate has no onscreen
button bar like the mp2k leaving more screen to work with (big plus here
when typing essays, email and other long stuff). Instead of the button bar,
the eMate uses additional buttons on the keyboard like the button bar (ie:
button for extras, dock, assist, undo, up, down, overview, etc.).

As for speed, the eMate is slower than the MP2k's. the eMate has a 25MHz
ARM processor while the MP2k's have a 162 MHz StrongARM processor. Also,
the eMate has no built in microphone. the eMate does have a headphone jack
though. it also has two ports. an interconnect port like the mp2k's and a
regular serial port (same kind as in your pre-iMac/pre-B&W G3 macs).

eMate has only one PCMCIA slot (takes type I, II, or III). so, unless you
upgrade it, you probably wont be surfing the net to great with a PC card
modem (internal store is kinda small [about 1500kb with nothing installed
but the built-in stuff]). you'd probably have to use an external modem and
then have a memory card in the pc slot to surf the net. but if the eMate
gets upgraded (very easy to do by yourself), internet is actually do-able
since free space jumps to between 3500 - 4000 kb. upgrading my eMate was
one of the best things i've ever done. oh and eMate can only read/write to
5v/5v cards. the normal 12v/5v cards are read only to the eMate.

overall, this is a great machine. it's pretty durable (a lot more than a
powerbook). i've banged mine by accident a few times, and dropped it
slightly on my bathroom floor and it's still awesome. i'm always throwing
it onto my bed without worry of it messing up the eMate (try doing THAT with
a powerbook). not to mention you can pick it up by the screen. and really,
there is no screen cover to break off like the MP's since it's laptop form
and all.

really, if you're gonna use your eMate for anything more than writing stuff
and simple eMail/telnet, you should get the upgrade. also, some memory
cards would be great. you can never have too much memory, right? me and my
girlfriend bought some 6 MB memory cards from this guy, Paul Braham, for $35
each. go check out info-newt.com for the offer. awesome cards and a great
deal too.

and check out:
ftp://manuals.info.apple.com/%2FApple_Support_Area/Manuals/newton/
for newton/emate manuals. just find the ones with eMate in the document
name. (names are kinda cryptic here).

all-in-all, I would never trade my eMate in for an mp2k. the mp2k is fast
and got 2 pc card slots and stuff, but upgrading the eMate levels the field
somewhat. also, the built in keyboard and ruggedness of the eMate does it
for me. if you gonna be typing a lot, the eMate is great. typing on an
mp2k not gonna be too pleasent without either a stand for desk work, or some
sort of rigged up carrying case to make it laptop-ish for portable work.
not to mention, the eMate is just plain cool (try using it on a college
campus or in a bookstore like 'barnes and noble' and see what i mean. :) ).

hope this helps...
Brandon

e-mail: locutus@hawaii.rr.com

about us at some time. Find out why at: