Re: NTLK eMate comments wanted...

From: Michael J. Hussmann (michael.hu@macmagazin.de)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 05:54:16 EST

Marco Mailand (Marco.Mailand@psi.ch) wrote:

> 1. Is the eMate kbd like the Newton kbd? (key size, feeling of the keys,
> material, etc.)

The keys' size is similar, otherwise the eMate's keyboard is even better
-- you don't need as much force to press down the keys as you need with a
Newton keyboard. For the same reason, hammering away on the eMate's
keyboard doesn't generate as much noise. On the other hand, the Newton
keyboard was (or is?) available in localized versions (I have the German
version), while the eMate is only available with US keycaps.

> 2. Does the eMate have backlight and how does it compare with the MP2k?

Yes, it does have backlight -- not much different from the MP2K, except
that the screen is larger.

> 3. Does it have 2 PC card slots?

Just one, unfortunately. I have a Farallon Ethernet card and a Lasat
modem card besides the memory card, so I have to switch cards from time
to time.

Michael J. Hussmann

Redaktion macmagazin
Leverkusenstrasse 54 VII