Re: NTLK Newtscape woes... (OFFTOPIC)

From: Victor Rehorst (victor@gear.torque.net)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 17:15:49 EST

This is getting way offtopic, but it's never too late for people to learn
about TCP/IP :)

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Adrian Carter wrote:

> If i'm right in my thinking your domain name server is represented
> though the name of your provider for example I use two providers Cix
> and BTlnternet.

Err... you're wrong.

> When I fill in the details for Cix the server name is
>
> cix.co.uk
> and BTlnternet is
>
> btinternet. com

These are the domain paths. This is the stuff that goes right after your
host name. For example:

gear.torque.net
^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^
 | |
 | domain path
hostname

> 194.22.65.0
> (the above is just a made up number that represents the
> appearance/layout of the DNS numbers).

Err, no. That particular number is a Class C broadcast address. It (used
to be) is used for sending packets to all machines within that range of
IPs.

> If aayone can explain this better then please feel free I am no expert
> on these matters.

Here's a great tutorial on how TCP/IP works:

http://eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca/~victor/tcptut.txt

-----Victor Rehorst - victor@eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca | victor@torque.net------
---Newton Resources: Ethernet, Newton Cage, NewtonTalk archive, and more!---
--------------- http://eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca/~victor/newton/ ---------------

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com