NTLK Re: Quick help please!

From: markr13 (markr13@voicenet.com)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 16:22:50 EST

>Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 02:15:24 -0600
>From: Bill Davis <newton@ecity.net>
>To: "NewtonTalk" <newtontalk@planetnewton.com>
>Subject: Re: NTLK Re: Quick help please!
>
>On 2/19/2000 6:16 PM, Tom Bessler [mailto:tbessler@OregonVOS.net] wrote:
>
>>Hi Mark,
>>
>>I thank you for that information. I'll give it a try.
>>
>>Actually, my problem is a software one.
>>
>>I recently installed OS 8.6 and it's doing some strange things. Whenever I
>>boot the computer (PM 4400/200, 80 megs of memory) the System draws about
>>12 megs of memory. With nothing else running, if I leave the computer on,
>>by the end of the day, it will have usurped all of the available memory and
>>there will none left to check my e-mail, for instance. I'm trying to find a
>>fix.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Tom
>
>You probably have a third-party extension or control panel or background
>app with a bug that's requesting memory and not freeing it when done with
>it, then requesting more, not freeing that either, etc. This is called a
>"memory leak". Try using the Extension Manager to set yourself to oneo
>of the built-in Apple only sets and see if you see a problem. I use OS
>8.6 and have never noticed any problems like this. Internet Explorer
>sucks up system RAM in addition to it's own memory partition,
>though.....and it's not always good about freeing it up when you quit,
>plus it can cause memory fragmentation. Are you really doing NOTHING
>with the computer, just letting it sit all day?
>
> - Bill

I'll chime in here as well. The first thing you can try is to startup
with extensions off (hold the shift key down when starting up). If this
fixes the problem, there is likely a third party extension running with
the memory leak Bill described. Conflict Catcher is particularly good at
finding this kind of thing. If you don't have it, I recommend it. Its
likely that some poorly supported shareware app is to blame, although
Netscape Navigator in earlier incarnations was famous for grabbing all
memory available and not letting go. In the meantime, until you find the
culprit, you can restart when the memory gets used up and reset back to
the original state.

Mark Ross
markr13@voicenet.com

about us at some time. Find out why at: