NTLK PC Card Insertions - how many times?

From: Chris Ruprecht (chrup@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 18:45:32 EST

Hello dear Newtoneers,

I have checked Victors Ethernet page and yes, there are combo cards
there - but they are no longer available for purchase. I found a TDK
5660 Global something something else - which I guess replaces the
5610 - but I have no idea if the driver for the older card works on
the newer model. Also, the new card is available at some internet
retailer for, and I hope you're sitting down, $279. Since I have a
modem card and a seperate LAN card, the need is not absolute, but it
would have been nice - but not at that price when I don't even know,
if it will work. They only offer drivers for Windogs and, no matter
how hard I try, I can not convince myself, that it would look good on
my Newton.

Now the question: At some stage, I heard, that these PCMCIA ports
have a limited life span when it comes to card insertions (I guess,
one could draw a curve with # of socket insertion on the X-axis and #
of pins remaining on Y). But forget physical damage for once, hjow
many times can I swap these card around before I should start
worrying?

Best regards,
Chris

--
Chris Ruprecht
Network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre

The Clinton Administration, the George Bush 2000 Campaign, and almost every other major U.S. politician has said something nasty about us at some time. Find out why at: http://www.evote.com