Re: NTLK Postscript Printer Driver?

From: andrewmaier (andrewmaier@crosswinds.net)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 12:19:42 EST

Unfortunately, the postscript driver requires an AppleTalk connection. In theory
it should be possible to set up a faked Laserwriter on Linux using the Netatalk
package. You then could use an Ethernet connection from the Newton to connect
to the faked Laserwriter and then to dump the postscript.

The Linux box will not do LocalTalk unless a you have a LokalTalk to Ethertalk
bridge (e.g the AsnateTalk box) or you have a LocalTalk ISA card in your PC
(a rather expensive investment).

In principle it should be doable, but I have not tried. What I have tried is
to use a Mac Sotware called Freedom of Press. This is an old long gone Postscript
interpreter which contains program which fakes a Laserprinter. It then dumps
the postscript into a special folder where it will be picked up by the main
programm to interpret the Postscript and send it to any QuickDraw capable printer
i.e. just abou any Mac printer. This way I can get crisp high resoluion output
from my Stylewriter when printing from my Newton.

If you do get the Linux+Netatalk connection to work submit to this list.

Andrew

>Hi,
>
>I just tried printing through Linux. This works fine:
>
>stty 57600 raw </dev/newton
>cat /dev/newton >newtonprint.raw
>(Start printing on the Newton using the correct driver)
>cat newtonprint.raw >/dev/lp0
>
>Okay, this works.
>But it would be much nicer if I could tell the Newton to produce
>PostScript output so I can write it into a file, and view it before
>printing. All I need for this is a generic PostScript printer driver.
>I have the Newton Print Pack 2.0 drivers installed but but none of them
>seems to produce plain PostScript. :-(
>So, does anyone know of a PostScript driver for the Newton?
>
>Greetings,
>Gert

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com