NTLK Powering MP through car adapter

From: Gruendel, Frank 3837 PPE-WT (Frank.Gruendel@de.heidelberg.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 03:49:53 EST

>I have a 12vdc input 7.5 output car adaptur for a car. it works fine car is
>not but gets strong protest from my newt when the volts get over 12dc
input.

Not sure what you mean by "strong protest". The use of a car adapter for
powering messagepads has always been subject to discussion. Fact is that
whenever you apply a voltage of more than 7.5 volts to your messagepad,
it is in danger. If the voltage is (I'd think) more than 9...10 volts or so
it is as good as dead.
Another fact is that there are car adapters out there with voltage
stabilization
circuitry that is, well, somewhat inferior. Meaning that even when the
car is _not_ running, i. e. when you get a really _stable_ voltage out
of your cigarette lighter, it is not guaranteed that the adapter's output is
really what it should be even if only used within its specifications.
Things get very, very worse if you start your car's engine. From then on
you'll
have all kinds of ugly spikes on top of your battery dc voltage, and many
adapters are incapable of "ironing these out".
Myself, I _never_ power any voltage sensitive equipment from a car cigarette
lighter. It's safer to buy a charger that can be powered from the cigarette
lighter and charge a spare set of batteries.

>Would it harm my nwt for to use it at the 6vdc output setting

No, it'd be even safer than the 7.5 volt setting. However, for the above
reasons I wouldn't do this either unless I were able to look at the
adapter's
output voltage with an oscilloscope while the engine is running full speed.

Frank

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com