Re: NTLK emergency package

From: Robert Benschop (robertbenschop@bigfoot.com)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 17:02:56 EST

on 06-02-2000 1:17, jon glass at jonglass@usa.net wrote:

> Due to two messages recently re: smashed screen, I realized I would lose
> everything if that happened to me. I remember there was a package that
> would load on a card, and a reset would automatically, either backup onto
> the card, or open an NCU extension. Does anybody remember this package,
> where to get it, and what it does. I think it's time for me to get
> prepared... TIA

Emergency from Softwareburo Mueller was mentioned but there's another
package (two actually) DataRescue and DataRescueSerial
>From the ReadMe:

"Data Rescue

Experience tragically shows that the most vulnerable part of your beloved
Newton MessagePad is its display. In the case of a damaged display it is not
possible to write anything on it anymore. You cannot even get your data
back!

This little package does nothing but automatically open the Connection slip
and wait for your desktop machine to get into contact. You will then be able
to back up your data from the desktop using the Newton Backup Utilities or
similar software.
Data Rescue does so when it is installed, e.g. when a card is inserted or
the MessagePad is reset. Of course, you will not want to have this active
all the time, but in an emergency case it can be installed via a second
MessagePad.

Caution: an error message may appear after installation indicating that the
serial port is already in use. This is not a problem since it coincides with
the goal of Data Rescue!

If you can get your valuable data back, please remember me!...$
1996©André Meyer € ameyer@ifi.unizh.ch
http://www.ifi.unizh.ch/staff/ameyer.html"

Hoping that we won't need this, ever......

Robert Benschop

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com