Re: NTLK MOD files (was newtontalk V1 #231)

From: Steve Weyer (sweyer@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 09:51:14 EST

>Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 02:01:26 -0600
>From: Bill Davis <newton@ecity.net>
>
>On 1/31/2000 8:22 PM, Tom Swell [mailto:swell@rohan.sdsu.edu] wrote:
>
>>Drew,
>>
>>MODs were originally invented for the extinct Amiga computer. MOD software
>>has since been written for all popular platforms. The data file is somewhat
>>standardized and should run on any machine. There are various 'flavors' of
>>mod file and the better players can adapt to many of them.
>>
>>So, yes, try the ones you have. You may have to fiddle with Type and Creator
>>signatures on the Mac to make them look like pkg files for the Newt or
>>regular MOD files to play on the Mac. I've never tried it on my MP2.1k- I
>>have some excellent MOD files, but I suspect they won't sound too good on
>>the little Newt speaker.
>>
>>Here are some MOD links:
>>http://ftp.wustl.edu/~aminet/dirs/tree_mods.html
>>http://www.modmusic.com/
>>ftp://ftp.luth.se/pub/aminet/mods/
>>
>>blessings,
>>Tom Swell
>
>You have to do more than fiddle the type/creator codes. You have to
>create a .pkg file out of the MOD file using a specific procedure with
>the Newton Toolkit development environment. There should be info on it on
>the web site for the Newton MOD player.

details about ModPlayer and NTK creation:
  http://roger.trideja.com/newton/modplayer.html

there's now an additional way to get/play MOD files directly on your Newton
w/o using NTK.

my new ModSaver plugin transfers the MOD file via Newt's Cape (http:), and
then creates
a Newton package using NewtPack plugin (also used by Newt's Cape to save
books, and by NewtDevEnv to save apps), or it will just play it directly
with ModPlayer
if NewtPack isn't installed. I've only tested with 'small' MOD files,
and only extracted from .zip files (via the "palmzip proxy") (if anyone
discovers
any good http: sources of raw MODs, let me know the MIME types and I'll add).

  http://members.bellatlantic.net/~sweyer/newton/newtscape/modsaver.htm

Steve
weyer@kagi.com
NewtDevEnv, Newt's Cape, Sloup, Crypto,...
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~sweyer/newton/index.htm
http://www.kagi.com/weyer

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com