Re: NTLK Re: newtontalk V1 #232

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Sat Feb 05 2000 - 03:02:03 EST

On 1/31/2000 11:26 PM, Peter [mailto:pokeefe1@ic3.ithaca.edu] wrote:

>>I'd just like to take this moment to say that I love using Newt's Cape.
>>Right now, I'm converting all of my prof's online lecture notes to
>>NewtonBooks so that I don't have to lug a mount of paper to class every
>>day - and so that I can study anywhere!
>I did this too. I actually carry a back pack around that has nothing in it
>but a newton. It just looks funny carrying a little leather case
>around. What helps in that is to use a scanner with OCR and just put
>everything in works if you have handouts. I found it much easier to scroll
>this way.
>
>Those days are over for me. My new machine comes in Wednesday. We will
>see how my newt compares to the new beast. I can't wait. I know there are
>going to be major setbacks if I switch, but the major feature is SCREEN
>SIZE!!! ARGH! Someone, please, make a tablet newton!

I can't believe I'm doing this....but perhaps you should look at the
Vadem Clio; it's a WinCE box, which means you can get the Paragraph
cursive handwriting recognizer (the same one used in the Newton) for it.
In fact, Paragraph is a part of Vadem, and I recall that Microsoft
recently either licenesed or bought Paragraph from them.

The Clio's screen can flip over and cover the keyboard so you can use it
as a tablet. It's really a nifty design.

www.vadem.com

I think Sharp private-labels the Clio, too.

I'd have LOVED a Newton (or WOULD love a Mac PowerBook) in the Clio
chassis. Instant "buy". I'm still tempted from time to time to buy a
Clio. They have or at least HAD them at my local CompUSA. The early
units had some problems, but I heard recently that they'd been revised
and are now pretty good (for a WinCE box <grin>).

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = Newton Community FAQ: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com