Re: NTLK Flash card problem! Please, help me!

From: Gary Moody (gmoody@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 09:59:45 EST

Hi Franco,

I hope that you did not do a "hard" reset without ejecting the card. If you
did, you've probably toasted the card. Rule of thumb: NEVER do ANY kind of
reset with ANY card inserted. This has a HIGH potential to fry the card(s).
  Pretec had a specific warning on their page for awhile noting this
issue...you toast it...it's your fault, they will not replace it.

If you did not do a hard reset, your card may be okay. Eject the cards and
do a normal reset and hold the stylus against the left hand edge of the
screen, about an inch up from the bottom of the screen. Hold the stylus
there until you get the dialog "Do you want to load packages?" Answer "no".
  The Newton will come up with the packages disabled (there will be an "X"
over all the icons except the built-in functions).

Try the Extras drawer...it should open and close okay.

Hold the stylus in the same place on the screen (against the left hand edge
of the screen, about an inch up from the bottom of the screen) and while
holding it down, insert the card. You should get the "Do you want to load
packages?" dialog again. Again, answer "No".

Now you should be able to open and close the drawer. Perform whatever
maintenance you need and then reboot.

If you get the "Newton cannot recognize this type of card" dialog again, the
card is probably damaged (toast). Latch ditch - eject the card - open Prefs
and while the prefs picker is open, insert the card. Hopefully, it will ask
if you want to format the card. Say "Yes". If you get the "Newton cannot
recognize this type of card" dialog again, the card is damaged. Eject and
throw away.

Good Luck!

Regards,

Gary