Re: NTLK I want, i want, i want...

From: jimthej (jimthej@pacbell.net)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 22:28:30 CDT

on 8/31/00 9:48 PM, Mister at esworp@home.com wrote:

> so, I'm pretty much sold on the idea of owning a newton, but I have a
> few questions...
>

> You know how on the Palm website.. they have a comparison list of
> like, how many entries the internal memory of the device can hold... what
> would the estimate be for the a mp2000, for a mp2100...
Depends on size of linear flash PC card. Works up to 32 MB and will hold
thousands of names

> how realistic is the possibility of connecting the newt to my cable
> modem with a ethernet card?

I use Vicomsoft SurfDoubler. Works like a champ. Have Farallon TP895 card
with EtherWave dongle.

> How hard is it to swap/backup/install iMac-to-Newton,
> Newton-to-iMac... compared to the Mac Palm experience.
Swap, backup, install even with NCU (Newton Connection Utilities) over
Ethernet a simple task backup=4 taps others not much more depending on
navigation required. Can be controlled from Newt or iMac. Synch a range of
difficulties from difficult to nearly impossible. Mainly due to expiration
of easy synching desktop apps.

> what is the top 'words per minute' of the handwriting recognition? I
> can overrun my palm even with it overclocked... :]
I will let someone else answer this one as my handwriting is so inconsistent
that the 10-12 WPM that I get is a miracle. Ask my students.

Jim Johnston
Teacher
Mac Smacker
Newton User