Re: NTLK 56k / Ethernet card for eMate?

From: Ivan Shaw (ishaw@eudoramail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 22:35:42 CDT

At 11:15 PM 8/31/00 +0000, SM Stimpson wrote:
>Anyone know of a cost-effective, 56k / Ethernet card solution for the Newton
>that WORKS WELL? (Specifically the eMate?)

Combo cards aren't supported, though I remember seeing Hiroshi Noguchi's
Driver Labo page listing support for a couple of TDK combo cards (this was
months ago). You'll be swapping cards for some time yet.

>If not, then 1) In your opinion, what's the best 10 and/or 100 Base-T
>Ethernet card for the eMate / Newton?

No Fast Ethernet support as far as I know, since many of those cards are
CardBus-based. As for efficiency and value, I'd have to pick 3Com's
3CXE589ET, since it's the only one which doesn't use a dongle.

Check Victor Rehorst's EtherNewt page
<http://www.chuma.org/newton/ethernet> for the cards which do have support.

>And, when using Ethernet with your eMates / Newtons, do you find that web
>pages in NetHopper 2.0 jump quickly onto the screen, just like on standard
>desktop Macs / PC's? Or is using the web on an eMate / Newton such a memory
>hog that getting an Ethernet card isn't even worth the trouble?

Newt's Cape and Ethernet is a worthwhile combination. I haven't used
NetHopper since I unpacked my MP2000 back in April 1997.

>(Basically, what I'm asking here, is -- with email also -- how significant
>is the speed increase from 36.6 to 56k or 10 Base-T on an eMate?)

I didn't find a noticeable difference when going from my Optima 33.6 to
either the Optima 56K or 3Com V.90. Going from dial-up to Ethernet on the
other hand, is quite noticeable, especially if you're downloading dozens of
NewtonTalk message.

>and 2) What's the best 56k (or is there a 56k?) card solution for the
>eMate? (Take into acct the same considerations as above, please.)

3Com 3CXM756 GSM with X-Jack (the connect lights up too). There's a 56K
patch on NetStrategy's site.

If you don't have to consider portability, most desktop modems should work
as well.