Re: NTLK SmallTalk

From: Tom Law (tomlaw5@home.com)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 22:04:08 CDT

Well, it is more like a phrase book than a dictionary. They have the phrases
divided up into categories....

basic
transportation
lodging
money/shopping
emergency
business
food
entertainment
social

Each of these categories has the most common phrases you would ask about.
Each question has from 2-6 answers that the other person picks from.

Some questions that translate into numbers, such as money, distance, time, date;
they have a odometer that the person counts up to the number needed to finish
the phrase.

Here is how it works;
You go to the transportation menu and select the question that asks how far it
is to the nearest bank? Then you select translate. The screen changes and
displays your english question in the language specified. The other person reads
the question and has a multiple choice answer in their language with the odometer
below that. They select the answer and count up on the odometer then they select
translate. The screen changes their answer into english for you to read.

You can set it up to translate between any 2 languages that it supports. You just
have to have the modules loaded.

In my opinion, it is better than a dictionary and a phrase book, because it has
more phrases. But it still isn't as good as a real conversation, because you are
limited to the phrases. I am not trying to sway you one way or the other. But
I think it has been more useful than a dictionary.

My two cents,
-tom