Re: NTLK Setting POP and SMTP servers using Enroute iNet?

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 00:43:47 CDT

On 8/27/00 11:50 PM, Grant [Rambunctious] Hutchinson
[mailto:grant@splorp.com] wrote:

>On 26/08/2000 12:14 AM Bill Davis wrote:
>
>>Grant - if your mail server only does IMAP, you're basically out of luck
>>-- no Newton e-mail client supports IMAP, so far as I know. Not even
>>SimpleMail, I'm pretty sure.
>
>Frankly, I try to avoid IMAP... but that wasn't really the problem. I'm
>already running my own mail server separate from the Microsoft Exchange
>boondoggle that our technology brainiacs down in the corporate head
>office have mandated across the company (ugh!). I won't let any of my
>mail touch that thing... the actual problem was that I couldn't find
>where to change my mail server settings on my Newt.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were after.

Yeah, they're considering setting up Exchange where I work too.
Fortunately, they also HAVE to use POP3/SMTP for Internet access and THAT
server is many states away at McGraw-Hill corporate HQ.

>>See if you can't have your IS people also set up POP3 and SMTP.
>
>Hee, hee. Our IS people fulfilling a user request? That's a good one. If
>I had been drinking milk, it would have come straight out of my nose
>after reading that sentence. Thanks for the lighthearted moment Bill!

Sigh. I feel your pain. ;-)

Fulling user requests is their JOB. If they don't realize that, your
company should fire their butts. IS stands for "Information SERVICES"
or "Information SUPPORT". Too often it seems to stand for Information
Stubborn, though. Or Information Slackers.

IS people who dictate to their users really, REALLY piss me off (but
then, I AM Mac user, so there's a big surprise.....but I'm also, sort of,
in IS myself.)

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/