NTLK Pen sensing drift

From: david ting (ting@helix.mgh.harvard.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 10:44:28 CDT

Hi All,

I'm a newbie to this list, but have been using an MP2100 since early
1998. Over several months, I've noticed my Newton very frequently thinks
my pen placement is about 3mm to the left of where I actually place the
pen tip. When I go to "Align Pen" under Preferences, my Newton regains
accuracy again for about a half a day, then "drifts" back to being about
3mm off.

I've taken to pressing the reset button whenever I'm done using my Newton.
This seems to preserve tracking accuracy. However, it doesn't seem to be
a fool-proof method. Interestingly, we've got several MP2100's in our
office, and it seems to me they also "drift" after several uses.

Is this something that other users have seen before? Is there a software
fix or patch to prevent it? (I've got SysPatch 0.6b running, and OS
ver 2.1 (717260) installed.)

Thanks,
David