Re: NTLK AMMO

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Sat Aug 19 2000 - 18:02:42 CDT

On 8/19/00 5:01 PM, Benjamin Ing [mailto:vbing@mediaone.net] wrote:

>I really don't want to turn this into a Palm rah-rah thread, since I really
>do understand the value, but I post to at least make sure that information
>is accurate.
>
>It is true that Palms do not have PC card support, but in case you haven't
>noticed, PC cards are quickly disappearing from the computing landscape.

WHAAAAAAT? No, they most certainly are not. What is happening is
multiple DIFFERENT small card standards are showing up in PDAs,
especially palms. This is a bad thing. PCMCIA is still THE card slots
you'll find in laptops. YOu may find CF cards in some smaller laptops
where space is at a premium, but PCMCIA is still more common and will
probably remain that way.

The new Compaq iPaq PDA has add-on sleeves to allow EITHER PCMCIA or CF
(and if you get the PCMCIA one you should be able to get a PCMCICA CF
adapter to have the use of both types).

>They are being replaced by Compact Flash and Memory Sticks, both which are
>supported by Palm clones that are either presently available (TRG) or which
>will be shipping soon (Sony). My Handspring has a Springboard module which
>promises further expansion as memory and peripheral devices (plus many
>wireless options) and Palm has announced support for SD cards.

You just made my point above for me. CF, Memory Stick, Smartmedia,
Springboard, now SD. And THAT's just in the various PalmOS licensees!
Everyone is different. How STUPID of the vendors. It's going to hurt
them. Trust me on that one. If they were smart, they'd have gone with
CF, which supports stuff OTHER than memory, works in cameras, PC's,
PDA's, etc. As it is, you can't use the card from one PalmOS type unit
in another one from a different vendor. Unlike PCMCIA Cards, floppies,
etc, which you can -- I can even use most Windows PCMCIA cards and disks
on my Mac. Heck, the USB PCMCIA card in my Mac _is_ a Windows-packaged
card. My Newton's Ethernet PCMCIA cards work in Macs, PC's and Newtons
(and not just the one from Farallon).

Not on PDAs. Or at least Palms. Everyone is using different card
formats. Dumb. Really dumb. As much as I dislike WinCE/PalmPC units, I
think most/all of them seem to have decided on CF. About the only smart
thing they did.

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/