RE: NTLK Avantgo Why

From: Victor Rehorst (chuma@chuma.org)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 10:15:12 CDT

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, Bradley Smith wrote:

> > Gah! Avantgo is no different from any other web site.
> > Avantgo pages are
> > mostly valid HTML. Avantgo does not require the crappy
> > little "Avantgo
> > client" or whatever it is that Palm gives you. Every single
> > Avantgo site
> > has a valid http:// URL.
>
> Wrong, Avantgo pages are *guaranteed* to have no Java, or RealPlayer, or
> JavaScript, or VBScript, or Big animations, or Shockwave etc.

What I thought I said, but was probably confused by my first statement, are
that Avantgo pages are valid web pages. You can load them into any standard
web browser - they do not require you to use the Palm Avantgo client. They
are, however, designed with the Palm limitations in mind - they use only
tiny B&W images, and many are designed with tables with widths a little less
than 160 pixels - the width of a Palm screen. They also usually have
limited or condensed content when compared to the sites they are based on.

> > Now someone has to compile a list of these sites
> > and compile it into a book using Newt's Cape.
>
> Why does someone have to compile these sites into a list if they're no
> different from any other web sites? Surely you can just go vist the
> original, non-avantgo, versions of the sites in all their gargantuan
> splendour? Well, no you can't because it's TOO SLOW to view it on a
> Newton!!!!!!

Avantgo is trying to make people use only their clients to view
Avantgo-optimized pages. To this end, they are encouraging sites with
Avantgo pages to NOT advertise the URL. Instead, Avantgo users must
register with avantgo.com to get links to Avantgo content.

As I clarified above, Avantgo sites are different from "normal" web pages
containing gobs of unnecessary JavaScript, DHTML, and other such flashy
technologies.

> I think you just shot your own argument down on this one.

I think I explained some things poorly in my initial message and you jumped
all over me - thanks for pointing it out.

Victor Rehorst - victor@eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca | chuma@chuma.org
Secretary, CASU & CPES College Governments, University of Guelph, Canada
Newton Resources: Ethernet, Mailing List Archive, Newton Cage File Archive,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ FAQ, Documentation, Books, Projects and fun, too!
                  http://www.chuma.org/newton/