Re: NTLK Ethernet & PCs

From: Ivan Shaw (ishaw@sympatico.ca)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 09:57:21 CDT

At 03:39 PM 8/1/00 +0100, richard z avery wrote:
>All of the information I can find for the Newton and Ethernet cards seems
>to be for MP2K<->Mac connectivity using Appletalk.

Most of it is. The remaining Ethernet information pretty much covers TCP/IP
over Ethernet using NIE 2.0.

>I am a PC user and hopefully soon to get ADSL here in the UK and wondered
>if I could use an ethernet card to share this connection. Does anyone have
>any information or hints and tips for me? I have read you can share a
>connection to the net from your Mac and the MP2K with NIE understands TCP
>(I use a modem to get net connectivity at the moment) so I suppose it is
>all feasible.

I've already got a DSL setup. Newton and Ethernet is a great combination
(mail, web, NNTP).

For the overall setup, you're going to have to come up with a way to
connect all your devices to the DSL unit. This is usually done with a hub
or a switch (switches are better; no bandwidth sharing between the internal
network devices). Plug in the DSL unit accordingly.

The only thing to do on the Newton is to buy the Ethernet card and install
NIE 2.0 and the requisite Ethernet drivers (how-to found on Victor
Rehorst's site <http://www.chuma/org/newton/ethernet>. Set up a connection
schema which supports your DSL setup (DHCP usually works).

You shouldn't have to do anything to your desktops.

Here's the catch: your DSL provider may not permit more than one
simultaneous connection. If so, you'll have to come up with a method to
share the connection. Most people will buy a broadband router (what I did)
or set up a machine for gateway purposes (you can do this very cheaply with
Linux; if you're already running Win98SE or Win2000, software's already
built in) so that the ISP sees only one machine.

It gets stickier if your DSL provider has opted for something called
PPPoverEthernet. This is a hellish "standard" (it's actually a proprietary
protocol developed by Redback) which allows oversubscription to the
service. The gateway machine and software will have to be able to support
the PPPoE client for the connection to work.

--
Ivan T. Shaw, PhD

http://www3.sympatico.ca/ishaw http://www.ivanshaw.com