Re: NTLK [PROGRAMMING] "Programming For The Newton" example code

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot@pnm-consulting.com)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 01:03:03 CDT

Ching Yi Tsai asked:
>Also, how does one frame access another frame's slot? For example, I
>have a button called SearchButton, and I want it to be able to access
>the text slot in a clParagraphView.

If you do have a frame (say theFrame or theParagraph), the NS syntax
is theFrame.theSlot. If the slot's name is in a variable (or a
const), you do theFrame.(theVariableWhichIsEqualToTheSlotSymbol).

Your problem is basically to have a reference to the paragraph.
Usually, you get the reference to a child by declaring it. If the
button and the paragraph have a common parent, you will be able to
access the paragraph with its name directly. This is rather abstract,
but if I have the concrete example, I'll tell you what to do.

>Um.. maybe I should take these questions to comp.sys.newton.programming?

There is not a lot of programming question here, but it is not
contrary to the list's chart AFAIK.

Regards,

Paul

--