NTLK Re - does the OMP recharge batteries

From: Gruendel, Frank 3837 PPE-WT (Frank.Gruendel@de.heidelberg.com)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 04:00:11 CDT

>I've read in numerous places about the Newton being able to recharge
>batteries
>itself, does this also apply the OMP

Yes. All Newton Models can do this.

> and if the
>OMP can then do you need to buy a special battery carrier or is there a
>fudge to modify the current one. I did notice a small blue switch in
>the battery compartment, but not sure if this means much.

This switch is pressed when an original Apple rechargeable pack is
installed,
it is not pressed when you use the normal battery carrier. What you'd do is
make sure the switch stays down (not sure how to do this with an OMP, for
110...130 a piece of cardboard is sufficient) and use the normal battery
carrier, the OMP will think the rechargeable pack is installed and recharge
it
accordingly. MAKE SURE YOU NEVER DO THIS WITH NON RECHARGEABLE BATTS UNLESS
YOU
HAVE A SPARE NEWTON AND A SPARE LIFE!
Personally, I'd not recommend going this way as the NiCad AAA cells don't
have
that much capacity and the OMP has quite a high current consumption. You
won't
get much use out of your batts. The better alternative would be to buy
AAA size NiMH batteries and charge those externally.

Best regards

Frank

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!